Re: Trouble with a atapi-cam backup..

From: Josh Paetzel <josh_at_tcbug.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:57:21 -0500
On Thursday 02 September 2010 15:23:46 Randy Stewart wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> So I finally upgraded my 7.3stable main server to 8.1stable...
>
> And now my backup to atapi-cam is failing.. I get:
>
> root_at_lakerest /usr/tmp]# /usr/local/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/cd0 -R -J
> backup_init.08-31-2010.gz
>
> :-( unable to CAMGETPASSTHRU for /dev/cd0: Inappropriate ioctl for
>
> device
>

> Now atapi-cam I have built into the kernel (not a loaded module).. and
> so is scsibus.. and all
> its friends. Cam control seems to see the device:
>
> [root_at_lakerest /usr/tmp]# camcontrol devlist
> <HP DVD Writer 1140r FH23>         at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (cd0,pass0)
>
> Any suggestions of what I left out of the kernel  would be most
> helpful..
>
> Oh my kern.conf is:
>
> *****************************
> include         GENERIC
> ident		mymachine
> device		atapicam
> options 	IPDIVERT
> options 	IPFIREWALL
> *******************************
>
> And its an i386
>
> Thanks

> -----
> Randall Stewart
> randall_at_lakerest.net

I've had pretty good luck in 8.1 with the ahci and ada drivers, which will
present CDROMs as SCSI devices without ATAPICAM.

device          ahci
device          ada

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

And remove:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

And ATAPICAM of course.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel