Re: Experimental NFS server oddity

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
> I just tried adding
>
> nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
>
> to my rc.conf and found that after I rebooted the server, my FreeBSD 8
> client (still using NFSv3) couldn't connect because there was no RPC
> mapping for nfs.

Did you specify both of these in rc.conf?
nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_enable="YES"

You need to specify both of them (and nfsuserd="YES" if you going to use
NFSv4). See "man nfsv4" for more.

If you did specify both, then do a "ps axHl" to see what didn't start up.
There should be:
rpcbind
mountd
nfsd

and for NFSv4 to work
nfsuserd

You can also look in /var/log/messages to see if any of the daemons
are complaining about something.

rick