Re: Experimental NFS server oddity

From: Tim Kientzle <tim_at_kientzle.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:08:30 -0700
On Sep 11, 2010, at 4:20 PM, Rick Macklem wrote:

>> I just tried adding
>>
>> nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
>>
>> to my rc.conf and found that after I rebooted the server, my FreeBSD 8
>> client (still using NFSv3) couldn't connect because there was no RPC
>> mapping for nfs.

> Did you specify both of these in rc.conf?
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
> nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
>
> You need to specify both of them (and nfsuserd="YES" if you going to use
> NFSv4). See "man nfsv4" for more.

Both specified, as well as
   rpcbind_enable="YES"

> If you did specify both, then do a "ps axHl" to see what didn't start up.

rpcbind, mountd, and nfsuserd are all running, but nfsd is not running.

> You can also look in /var/log/messages to see if any of the daemons
> are complaining about something.

Only warning I see on a system reboot is:
   nfsd: can't open /var/db/nfs-stablerestart

Creating this file and then rebooting the system seems to get things working.

This file certainly wasn't required by the old nfsd.
Should this file be created by /etc/rc.d/nfsserver at boot time (if it doesn't exist)?
Or should it be created by installworld?

Tim