Re: Error message while updating src for FreeBSD 9 current

From: Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:26:28 +0200
On 2010-09-23 04:29, Ralph Ellis wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently upgraded my FreeBSD 8.1 installation to FreeBSD 9 current via
> buildworld and buildkernel. I was able to one general ports, src and doc
> update by cvsup but now I am getting the following error message when I
> do a src update.
>
>> cvsup srcsupfile
>> Connected to cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
>> Updating collection src-all/cvs
>> Edit src/bin/ps/extern.h
>> Illegal instruction
>>
> I am new to the mailing list. Is this a known error?
> Is this an error to do with the source tree or an issue on my end?
>
> Just for reference, the contents of my supfile are
>
> *default tag=.
> *default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/var/db
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> src-all
> ports-all
> doc-all
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance,
> Ralph Ellis
> ralphellis1_at_netscape.ca

Are you using cvsup or csup? Have you recompiled cvsup in case you use
that? What's in your make.conf file?
Illegal instruction is usually because the program is compiled for
another CPU than what it's running on. It can also be that syscalls has
changed, but then it usually complains about that.
When doing a major version upgrade, you usually have to recompile all ports.
Hope this helps!
//Niclas