Re: Clang now builds world and kernel, on i386 and amd64

From: Roman Divacky <rdivacky_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:52:20 +0200
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 08:55:51PM +0000, b. f. wrote:
> Dmitry Andric wrote:
> >On 2010-09-25 21:16, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> >> When to expect to get rid of GNU as and other binutils tools?
>
> >Work is progressing steadily on the clang/llvm integrated assembler,
> >which removes the need for an external assembler such as gas, and which
> >should also reduce compile times further.  This is really in alpha state
> >right now, but Roman Divacky (who is one of the active contributors) can
> >probably tell more about its progress.
> >
> >Another important component is of course the linker, but I am not aware
> >of a similar project to replace that; excepting gold, but that is a
> >GPLv3 project too, unfortunately.
>
> There has been another effort underway for some time:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/elftoolchain/
>
> Perhaps some coordination between those working on llvm in FreeBSD,
> and the elftoolchain project, would be helpful?

there's not that much overlap between those two - in a case elftoolchain
gets to implementing linker it would be sweet if it supported the same
plugin API as "gold" so we can use LLVM LTO plugin there...

beside that I dont see much point in teaching nm to see into llvm object
files etc. (we already have tools for that)