Re: DHCP server in base

From: David DEMELIER <demelier.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:34:08 +0200
2010/9/25 Marcin Cieslak <saper_at_saper.info>:
>>> M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
>>: I agree but like Aleksandr said, almost 70% of dhcp code is already in
>>: base so adding 1Mb of dhcpd code wouldn't be too much. I like the idea
>>: to keep some parts in the ports tree and move out from the base.
>>
>> Yea.  I agree too.  Just because BIND was EOLd in 6 isn't a great
>> argument against dhcp server.  Most of the code is there anyway, and
>> it isn't evolving as fast as BIND.
>>
>> It would be very convenient to have this particular thing in the base,
>> and we shouldn't be too dogmatic about never having any new 3rd party
>> things in the base.  After all, we just added more compression
>> utilities to the base, and nobody said a peep.  This is analogous: we
>> have good opportunity to integrate into the system, and users benefit
>> from that integration.
>
> As a road-warrior consultant I really value having things like
> bootpd, tftpd, bootparamd and similar software always there.
> Many times I wished dhcpd was there, too.
>
> Another typical use - FreeBSD makes a good small network router out
> of the box (PPP, NAT, ipfw, WLAN AP, DNS are there, dhcpd - missing).
>
> I am not sure about the whole "modularization" goal - I think
> the relatively monolythic nature is one of the FreeBSD's merits.
>
> For example, it's good to have NFSv4, Kerberos and required
> userland daemons packaged in the base. I don't want to have
> those done separately in a modular way (although Heimdal
> we have is older then what their current trunk is).
> We got stuck on connecting Linux boxes via NFSv4 to Solaris
> and BSD because one of the userland modules in Linux was terribly
> out of date and authenticating the user w/Kerberos was not possible.
>
> As we build a more complex networking landscape with VIMAGE and
> friends I think that the benefits of better integration of dhcpd
> in the base system (rc.d, rc.conf...) may outweigh its costs
> (maintenance, bloat, etc.).
>
> //Marcin

I agree that for some people it will be completely useless, but if we
can disable it in src.conf everyone will be happy. Since FreeBSD is
great for a router it's really fast to make a full working server
without installing anything else.

I agree for the 70% part of dhcp which is already present.

In any case, src.conf(5) is still working and usable, isn't it?

Kind regards,

--
Demelier David