Re: Clang now builds world and kernel, on i386 and amd64

From: Bartosz Stec <admin_at_kkip.pl>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:21:51 +0200
  W dniu 2010-09-24 16:34, Dimitry Andric pisze:
> On 2010-09-24 14:13, Bartosz Stec wrote:
>>> Could you please try to rename this make.conf to e.g.
>>> make.conf.disable,
>>> and retry the world build?
>> Still the same without make.conf. My personal guess is, that clang
>> builded by clang with CPUTYPE=athlon-xp is somehow broken. I don't think
>> CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe could do any harm, and also note that clang builded by
>> GCC with exactly the same make.conf has no problems with world
>> building :)
>
> I still cannot reproduce your issue...  To check, I have built world
> with CPUTYPE=athlon-xp, verified it used "-O2 -pipe -march=athlon-xp" as
> compilation flags for the world stage, and installed the resulting clang
> executables.
>
> Those clang executables do not exhibit the same problem as yours do;
> they can build tblgen (during the bootstrap-tools stage) fine.
>
> I suggest you comment out the CPUTYPE macro in make.conf for now,
> rebuild your world with gcc, and then rebuild it with clang again, to
> see if the issue goes away.

Indeed, I was right. Problem is gone after hashing out CPUTYPE line,
building world with GCC, and with clang after that. Now world is
building without problems.

But hey, i just realized that:

    # dmesg | grep -i cpu
    CPU: mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ (1800.11-MHz 686-class CPU)

I simply forgot that about a year ago I changed Athlon XP in this BOX to
Athlon MP and I didn't changed CPUTYPE in make.conf...
So maybe clang in fact did exactly what it should and created binary
designed to other CPUTYPE ;) I don't know exact differences between
Athlon XP/MP architecture (registers specially) but I just started
another try with CPUTYPE=Athlon-mp and I will post results :)

--
Bartosz Stec

--
IT4Pro Bartosz Stec