Re: Clang now builds world and kernel, on i386 and amd64

From: Erik Trulsson <ertr1013_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:42:44 +0200
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 02:21:51PM +0200, Bartosz Stec wrote:
> >> Still the same without make.conf. My personal guess is, that clang
> >> builded by clang with CPUTYPE=athlon-xp is somehow broken. I don't think
> >> CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe could do any harm, and also note that clang builded by
> >> GCC with exactly the same make.conf has no problems with world
> >> building :)
> >
> > I still cannot reproduce your issue...  To check, I have built world
> > with CPUTYPE=athlon-xp, verified it used "-O2 -pipe -march=athlon-xp" as
> > compilation flags for the world stage, and installed the resulting clang
> > executables.
> >
> > Those clang executables do not exhibit the same problem as yours do;
> > they can build tblgen (during the bootstrap-tools stage) fine.
> >
> > I suggest you comment out the CPUTYPE macro in make.conf for now,
> > rebuild your world with gcc, and then rebuild it with clang again, to
> > see if the issue goes away.
>
> Indeed, I was right. Problem is gone after hashing out CPUTYPE line,
> building world with GCC, and with clang after that. Now world is
> building without problems.
>
> But hey, i just realized that:
>
>     # dmesg | grep -i cpu
>     CPU: mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ (1800.11-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
> I simply forgot that about a year ago I changed Athlon XP in this BOX to
> Athlon MP and I didn't changed CPUTYPE in make.conf...
> So maybe clang in fact did exactly what it should and created binary
> designed to other CPUTYPE ;) I don't know exact differences between
> Athlon XP/MP architecture (registers specially) but I just started
> another try with CPUTYPE=Athlon-mp and I will post results :)

The only difference between Athlon XP and Athlon MP is that the MP
variants are certified for multi-processor use (in reality most Athlon
XP also worked just fine in multi-processor systems, or could easily be
modified to do so.)  Available instructions and registers are identical
between the two.  Mobile variants of the Athlon XP should also be
identical from a programming point of view.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson