Re: kernel thread creation cleanup

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:43:25 +0200
Quoting Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> (from Wed, 6 Apr 2011
13:21:43 +0300):

> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 06:16:01PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> I was just looking in the thread creation code after most of a decade
>> NOT looking at it..
>> boy we really need to go through there with a broom.. the cobwebs are
>> getting thick.
>> Like we always call the code to put an upcall, even though we don't
>> have upcalls any more,
> cpu_set_upcall() probably could be renamed to cpu_init_thread(),
> and cpu_set_upcall_kse() is better named cpu_init_thread_for_user().
>
> IMO, rename would only add a code churn.

Do not underestimate the impact of misnamed functions.
Do not underestimate the usefulness of correcly named functions.

Does a change help other developers (to understand or extend) or
improves what we have: it is not code churn.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
You can move the world with an idea,