Re: [regression] unable to boot: no GEOM devices found.

From: David Naylor <naylor.b.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:32:20 +0200
On Tuesday 12 April 2011 08:17:51 Alexander Motin wrote:
> David Naylor wrote:
> > I am running -current and since a few days ago (at least 2011/04/11) I am
> > unable to boot.
> >
> > The boot process stops when it looks to find a bootable device.  The
> > prompt (when pressing '?') does not display any device and yielding one
> > second (or more) to the kernel (by pressing '.') does not improve the
> > situation.
> >
> > A known working date is 2011/02/20.
> >
> > I am running amd64 on a nVidia MCP51 chipset.
>
> MCP51... again...
>
> > I am willing to help any way I can.
>
> You could start from capturing and showing verbose dmesg. Full or at
> least in parts related to disks.

I captured the dmesg output for both the old (working) kernel and the new
(bad) kernel.  See attached for the difference between the two.  If you need
the full dmesg please let me know.

One thing I found is that the old kernel would not boot if I simply rebooted
from the bad kernel.  I had to do a hard power off before the old kernel would
work again.  Is some device state surviving between reboots?

Regards,

David