Re: Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:01:59 -0600 (MDT)
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 04/20/2011 15:18, Scott Long wrote:
>> I agree with what Alexander is saying, but I'd like to take it a step
>> further.  We should all be using [...] mount-by-label
>
> +1
>
> When I first saw this on linux my gut reaction was "ewwww, different." But
> now that I've worked with it a bit, I really like it. Doing this by default
> in 9.0 would be a really useful step forward, and would allow greater
> innovation down the road.
>
> Is there a handy tutorial somewhere for making this change in FreeBSD? Or is
> it even possible to do in a rational way?

Not sure I understand the question.  I have a little article called
FreeBSD Labeled Filesystems:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/labels.html

It uses filesystem labels instead of device labels (except for swap).
The differences are the utility used to create the labels and where the
labels show up in /dev.