Re: Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

From: Ted Faber <faber_at_isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:18:15 -0700
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 03:35:38PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 04/20/2011 15:18, Scott Long wrote:
> >I agree with what Alexander is saying, but I'd like to take it a step further.  We should all be using [...] mount-by-label
>
> +1
>
> When I first saw this on linux my gut reaction was "ewwww,
> different." But now that I've worked with it a bit, I really like
> it. Doing this by default in 9.0 would be a really useful step
> forward, and would allow greater innovation down the road.
>
> Is there a handy tutorial somewhere for making this change in
> FreeBSD? Or is it even possible to do in a rational way?

Judging from the thread that followed this: no.

I agree with you that there should be and that mount-by-label is the way
to go.

I seem to recall some flakiness with mounting labelled gmirrors.  Anyone
know if that's been resolved?

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc