Re: Switch from legacy ata(4) to CAM-based ATA

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:43:02 -0700
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Ted Faber <faber_at_isi.edu> wrote:
> I seem to recall some flakiness with mounting labelled gmirrors.  Anyone
> know if that's been resolved?

Purely anecdotal, but we've been using gmirror on top of glabel since
FreeBSD 7.0.  First on CompactFlash disks using CF-to-IDE adapters
(ata(4)), then with CF-to-SATA adapters (ahci(4)), then with SSDs
(ahci(4)).  These systems have been upgraded through 7.1, 7.2, 7.3,
8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and now run 8-STABLE (from early April).  No issues
relating to the use of gmirror or glabel, even when replacing disks in
the mirror.

I've also run gmirror on glabelled USB sticks, although the quality of
the sticks and the USB stack made that flaky in the extreme when
combined with a very active ZFS pool (7.x days).

We've since removed the CF disks and switched to using SSDs due to speed issues.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash_at_gmail.com