Re: Heads Up: default NFS server changing to the new one

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:26:05 -0400
On Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:12:13 pm Rick Macklem wrote:
> > On 04/24/11 02:00, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > > There will soon be a commit to head that will change the
> > > default NFS server to the new one that was called the
> > > experimental NFS server (but no longer experimental). After
> > > this commit, you must use "-o" on both mountd and nfsd to
> > > force the system to use the old/regular server but, please,
> > > try the new server and let me know of problems before you
> > > switch back to the old one.
> > >
> > > Hopefully this will not cause you grief, rick
> >
> > If one would like to build NFS into the kernel, should those people
> > use
> > the "old" options (options NFSCLIENT|options NFSSERVER)?
> >
> If you are going with the default/new server, the option is NFSD.
>
> I haven't yet switched over the client (it still needs some
> commits related to diskless root, etc), but the option for it
> is NFSCL. (When it gets time to switch the client, I plan on
> posting to see if others think the default kernel configs should
> change. Personally, I'd wait until both have been switched and the
> dust settles to the point where it seems there is no need to switch
> back.)

Actually, I think we should switch GENERIC in HEAD to the new client and
kernel very soon.  The goal is to get current users testing the new client and
server so they can uncover any bugs.  If problems crop up during the testing
that can't be resolved, we can always revert to the older client/server for
the release.

--
John Baldwin