Re: Heads Up: default NFS server changing to the new one

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:34:42 -0700
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 09:26:05AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> Actually, I think we should switch GENERIC in HEAD to the new client and
> kernel very soon.  The goal is to get current users testing the new client and
> server so they can uncover any bugs.  If problems crop up during the testing
> that can't be resolved, we can always revert to the older client/server for
> the release.

Hi,

I agree.  I think it is fantastic that Rick is doing all this work
in our NFS code.  Unfortunately, for this kind of stuff, in order
to uncover the interop issues and edge cases, it is better to make this
the default sooner, rather than later.  The people with the production
setups where you uncover these kinds of issues don't run
the tip of CURRENT usually....

One thing to consider:  if we could provide a bootable virtual machine with
the new NFS code to some of the storage vendors like EMC/Isilon, Netapp,
etc. it might be nice to get some feedback.  People are always busy,
but if we make the effort to make things easier to try out and test,
that is always a good thing.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org