Debugging lockups that happen while running X?

From: Jos Backus <jos_at_catnook.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:01:37 -0700
    Hi,

I was wondering if any progress has been made regarding debugging of system
lockups that occur while running X? My system (tracking -current, updated
every few days) has been locking up reliably every day or so for a few months
now. It would be great to figure out what the cause is. As it stands, when it
happens all I can do is hit the Reset button as the keyboard is non-responsive
and usually I'm greeted by a frozen screen saver image.

Any suggestions on how to get more information about this crash? It never
seems to happen outside of X, btw.

Thanks,
Jos

--