Re: Installer Feedback: Partitioning

From: Kevin Oberman <kob6558_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:17:45 -0700
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Jonathan Anderson <jonathan_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Love the new installer, but I do have a very small criticism of the
> guided partitioning screen: it's unclear at first glance which of the
> available buttons ("Create", "Delete", ..., "Exit") means "write the
> partitions to disk and carry on to the next step".
>
> I presume that the point of a "guided" setup is to make it easy on
> first-time FreeBSD installers; we might want to make it a little
> easier still by labeling the relevant button "OK", "Save", "Next",
> "Do It!" or something instead of "Exit".

Create and Delete act on the layout design Nothing done at this point
actually writes anything to the disk. I would suggest that "Exit" be changed
to "Continue" and, as I have already suggested, "Save" on the next screen
should be changed to "Commit" or "Execute".

A one-liner on the screen stating that nothing at this point will
write to the disk
might be a good idea, though, just to make people more comfortable.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558_at_gmail.com