Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

From: Hartmann, O. <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:03:38 +0200
On 08/30/11 16:30, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 05:21 PM, Hartmann, O. wrote:
>> On 08/30/11 12:31, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> On 08/30/2011 12:59 PM, Hartmann, O. wrote:
>>> But I also express my opinion that updating such a document should be
>>> done by a third party.
>> I slightly disagree with that.
>
> No problem
>
>> Who else than the developer/core team
>> members know better about what's
>> in and what's not in the FreeBSD box?
>
> So, for a features listing, it's OK. I really agree on turning it into
> a feature list.
>
> For a _comparison_, I think it's up to somewhere else:
> To really compare, it's mandatory to really now the multiple compared
> items. Who cares about the latest MS Windows internals (deep
> networking capability, filesystem tricks, kernel scheduler specs,...)
> in here?

Sorry, I forgot about that, you're completely right! Most engineers are
very keen on their own products and they know each feature
by the forename, so to speak. But this delegates us into the complicated
situation, that there should exist someone which is
deep inside all of the compared operating systems. And I still doubt
that we will find such a person, since if this would exist
noadays and such a person is motivated to do a comparison, it would have
been done and happened already!

If a comparison page is driven by the developer themselves and open to
be seen by everyone, even the "other party" or
people fund of "the other ones", they could sign some requests in the
mailing lists.

But I guess it would be hard to find a common aggreement. Whenever a
benchmark has been started at PHORONIX, so far as I know, and I watch
them very carefully, and FreeBSD's bad performance related to threaded
I/O come to discussion, which is, in my naive opinion, a very
essential part of the OS and its performnce (and compared to Linux
FreeBSD performs really bad!), a discussion got loose
with the outcome, that many energy has been emitted for excusions,
critics on the way the benchmark has been performed and
what OS version has been taken into the test blablabla ... and
effectively everything is stuck as before. It is like a street scene in
Italy
or Turkey, someone shouts in the narrow street, something bad happens,
the people open their windows, starting shouting
crisscross each other, making a lot of noise and then, suddenly, all
windows slap close and a devine silnce enters the whole scene
and still the bad thing is unsolved (say, ad corps in the street
bleeding ...) ...