Re: WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 22:41:33 -0800
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:56:31AM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> David,
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:51 AM, David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 05:38:20PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> > > I would like to disable building profiled libraries by default. Opinions?
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 07:46:17PM +0000, Max Khon wrote:
> > > Author: fjoe
> > > Date: Tue Nov 29 19:46:17 2011
> > > New Revision: 228143
> > >
> > > Log:
> > >   Turn off profiled libs build by default.
> > >   Can be enabled back using WITH_PROFILE=yes in /etc/src.conf
> >
> > Wow, a single day of discussion in freebsd-current_at_ was sufficient to
> > invert a 17 year default.
> >

> You still failed to name a single compelling reason to leave profiled libs
> even in -CURRENT.

Having a set of profiled libraries in-sync with the static
and shared libraries allows one to run the profiler on their
code when someone changes a library and that change causes
a dramatic change in the performance of one's code.

PS: David was not complaining about "fixing a 17 year old bug".
He was stating that a single day of discussion changing
a 17 year old practice seems a little too brief.

PPS: I was on work-related travel for the last 4 days, and only
saw this discussion after you pulled the trigger.

--
Steve