Re: WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 22:59:59 -0800
On 12/01/2011 22:41, Steve Kargl wrote:

> Having a set of profiled libraries in-sync with the static
> and shared libraries allows one to run the profiler on their
> code when someone changes a library and that change causes
> a dramatic change in the performance of one's code.

And as Max pointed out in his OP, that only applies to a tiny fraction
of our users, or even our developers. If you want to use them, turn the
knob.

> PS: David was not complaining about "fixing a 17 year old bug".
> He was stating that a single day of discussion changing
> a 17 year old practice seems a little too brief.

If it's a good idea, it's a good idea no matter how many different ways
we flog it. :)

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."