Re: WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 23:23:49 -0800
On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:59:59PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 22:41, Steve Kargl wrote:
>
> > Having a set of profiled libraries in-sync with the static
> > and shared libraries allows one to run the profiler on their
> > code when someone changes a library and that change causes
> > a dramatic change in the performance of one's code.
>
> And as Max pointed out in his OP, that only applies to a tiny fraction
> of our users, or even our developers. If you want to use them, turn the
> knob.

Not only do I want to use them, I do use use profiled libraries.
All those changes to libm that I've submitted over the years
have been run through the profile.  More importantly, we are
discussion freebsd-current.  I would hope that the other developers
profile their changes to system before committing.

> > PS: David was not complaining about "fixing a 17 year old bug".
> > He was stating that a single day of discussion changing
> > a 17 year old practice seems a little too brief.
>
> If it's a good idea, it's a good idea no matter how many different ways
> we flog it. :)

I think it is a horrible idea.  Perhaps, we should discuss the
technical issues before you start yet another bikeshed (see
your recent posts concerning the ports repo for your hypocricy).

--
Steve