Re: WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes by default

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 00:35:02 -0800
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:56:31AM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> You still failed to name a single compelling reason to leave profiled
> libs even in -CURRENT.

Sorry Joe, I don't think your reasoning is compelling.
I'm sure you know how to stick "NO_PROFILE=true" in your /etc/src.conf.

How far do you want to take this?  By this reasoning we should set all
the knobs to "NO" to speed up the build.  I mean we're all competent
code builders running FreeBSD-current and know how to enable knobs in
/etc/src.conf.

Is speeding up the build import important to you then the default
base system being an comfortable featureful development environment?

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 11:23:49PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:59:59PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > On 12/01/2011 22:41, Steve Kargl wrote:
> >
> > > Having a set of profiled libraries in-sync with the static
> > > and shared libraries allows one to run the profiler on their
> > > code when someone changes a library and that change causes
> > > a dramatic change in the performance of one's code.
> >
> > And as Max pointed out in his OP, that only applies to a tiny fraction
> > of our users, or even our developers. If you want to use them, turn the
> > knob.
>
> Not only do I want to use them, I do use use profiled libraries.
> All those changes to libm that I've submitted over the years
> have been run through the profile.  More importantly, we are
> discussion freebsd-current.  I would hope that the other developers
> profile their changes to system before committing.

Exactly!  We want to *encourage* the use of profiling in development.
Not make it harder.  With out the profiled libs being readily available,
it becomes yet another step to go thru and an impediment to quick
performance checking.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)

P.S. Max, would you please turn off HTML mail when sending to FreeBSD