Re: [patch] turning devctl into a "multiple openable" device

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:16:51 +0200
On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 12:17:21AM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> > > Nothing, but file reference count goes to zero only after the thread
> > > stuck in read is unstuck. Cdevpriv destructor is run only when file
> > > reference count becomes zero, i.e. there can be no any accessing threads,
> > > and new accesses are impossible since file descriptors also own references
> > > on the file.
> >
> > Right, I was a bit confused, this part can be removed.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Olivier
>
> Here is a new version of the patch mostly reworked by Olivier,
> It doesn't duplicate anymore the devq, and fix all that have been
> spotted here previously.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/devctl_multi_open.diff
>
> bonus, it removes the needless giant lock
I do not see a need in the use of refcount KPI, since it seems that
all manipulations of n->refcount happen under global_devctl.mtx.
Am I missed the place ?

Releasing refcount on dev_event_info before using it in devread()
allows other thread to free the memory while current thread still
uses it.

Stylish notes:
mtx member in struct global_devctl has weird indentation;
please move declaration of n2 into the declaration block of devdtor();
devread():should_free is initialized at the declaration site;
devctl_queue_data_f() has stray empty line ater the while { loop line,
while need blank line at the start of devctl_queue_data() is removed.