Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:01:42 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Max Khon wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM,  <sthaug_at_nethelp.no> wrote:
>
>> I use CVS (or rather csup) to keep the base system up to date. I would
>> be perfectly okay with using a different utility - however, I would
>> strongly prefer that this utility was included in the base system.
>
> CVS != csup.
>
> I wonder how many people will express their sentiments about CVS when
> they really mean cvsup/csup.

We also use CVS (not cvsup/csup) after installing a fresh system.
We mirror the CVS repo on an internal machine, then use CVS
to checkout the latest HEAD or -stable from the internal
mirror.  The checkout from the internal mirror is much
faster than trying to do it over our internet link (and
that doesn't always work - we may not even be connected
to the internet at times).  Note that no ports are needed
to update a system in this scenario.  Also note that I
can checkout any branch or from any known good date where
the system builds and works.

I would love to mirror the SVN repo in the same way
and have an 'svn' in base, or at least something that
could replace CVS in the above scenario.

--
DE