Re: Sil3124 + Sil4726 PortMultipier and FreeBSD9

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 23:35:15 -0800
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus_at_eternamente.info> wrote:

> On Sun, December 4, 2011 00:46, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, December 4, 2011 00:32, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>> Why not just run FreeNAS?
>>
>> thanks for the tip on FreeNAS, as others said too.
>>
>> will it run some other services, as http server for some stuff (wiki for example), edonkey and
>> torrent clients, and some other stuff ? (I will visit the FreeNAS site and try to figure out)
>>
>> although it would solve the problem on configuring the box, I still have the doubts on the port
>> multiplier being usefull on it, as FreeNAS will end on FreeBSD :)
>>
>> this port multiplier will work ok ? On Sil3124 and which others ?
>>
>> the tip on FreeNAS was great, but my main concern here is the sata hardware compatibility. I'd
>> like to buy it knowing it will work :)
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> matheus
>
> http://www.freenas.org/category/version-comparison
>
> unfortunately FreeNAS 8 won't be happy with less than 4GB RAM (I have 2GB on both hardware), and
> version 8 won't have http and torrent :(

Torrenting is available in the FreeNAS base, just not from the GUI. I
can give you more tips about this if need be offline.

> so far, I'll do as today and run FreeBSD 9 on its original form :)
>
> still looking for the port multiplier case, though.

>From ye great Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_multiplier):

"This also hampers the use of Native Command Queuing (NCQ). This means
that the full bandwidth of the link will most likely not be used. This
kind of switching is therefore used when capacity is the major
concern, and not performance."

Sounds like port multipliers make the bus count = 1 (i.e. cable or
controller fails and your entire storage array is toast) with less
benefit than using a traditional HBA or hardware RAID controller
>_>...

Cheers,
-Garrett