Re: CVS removal from the base

From: <sthaug_at_nethelp.no>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 10:08:26 +0100 (CET)
> I want to ask some serious questions here, because I genuinely want to
> understand your thought process.
>
> 1. Do you install *any* ports/packages on a new system before you update
> the source?

Answering just for myself here...

Going back a bit, in many cases I didn't need to install any packages.
Nowadays as a minimum I install Perl.

> 2. If so, why is installing one more unthinkable?

It's not unthinkable. However, IMHO we're then gradually edging closer
to various Linux distros that need lots of packages installed to do
anything useful. And that, of course, brings up the question - why not
just use Linux in the first place? For me, having FreeBSD as a "self
contained" system with lots of useful functionality in the base system
is one of the main reasons why I use FreeBSD.

> 3. Why is it a problem if the port/package you need to install in the
> early stages has dependencies?

For me the dependency on other ports/packages, in itself, is not really
a problem. I am much more worried about the fact that a FreeBSD release
corresponds to one particular point in time, while the ports collection
moves on - and that we'll end up with a FreeBSD release which is broken
with the existing ports collection (but works with an earlier version).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug_at_nethelp.no