Re: Third party apps in base [was CVS removal...]

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:51:35 -0800
On 12/3/11 11:02 AM, grarpamp wrote:
> Hi. I have many dependencies on CVS that I 'need' 'out of the box'.
> Yet at the same time, I would not mind at all if it went to ports.
> In fact, and from a general position regarding all third party apps,
> I encourage it.
>
> Mostly because they are not authored or maintained by FreeBSD. Yet
> they are integrated, often in ways that need work to remove and/or
> manage separately. Such as when the upstream drops a feature version
> and FreeBSD only drops security/stability patches.
>
> If a lighter method than ports is desired, all the third party apps
> have binary packages (/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/All). And even
> pkg_add can be skipped if that's too heavy. The bit of extra work
> at install time isn't much, especially when your install already
> does a bunch of scripted localization.

I have advocated for some time that there be different classes of
packages.
"Primary" packages, which are guaranteed to be with the release or at
most very near by,
and secondary packages which are fetched separately.
Primary packages would be maintained by the ports team, but would be
tested and included by the release engineers as if they were part of
the base system.

There may even by room for other classes.