Third party apps in base [was CVS removal...]

From: grarpamp <grarpamp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 14:02:23 -0500
Hi. I have many dependencies on CVS that I 'need' 'out of the box'.
Yet at the same time, I would not mind at all if it went to ports.
In fact, and from a general position regarding all third party apps,
I encourage it.

Mostly because they are not authored or maintained by FreeBSD. Yet
they are integrated, often in ways that need work to remove and/or
manage separately. Such as when the upstream drops a feature version
and FreeBSD only drops security/stability patches.

If a lighter method than ports is desired, all the third party apps
have binary packages (/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/All). And even
pkg_add can be skipped if that's too heavy. The bit of extra work
at install time isn't much, especially when your install already
does a bunch of scripted localization.

And as an aside, with what to this writer seems to be the majority
of the world moving to git... I think it should now properly become
user/admin choice as to which to install from ports/packages/source.
Rather than say, being equally agnostic/fair in the other direction
by including them all to satisfy all whims.

The only justified exception I see would be to include whichever
one is used by the master repository itself, which today is SVN.
And as a topic for another thread, I think even that should be
switched to git within the next couple years.

And as another topic for another thread... the same goes for the
various current methods of source (and other) distribution of the
FreeBSD project. I'd be quite happy to see rsync become authoritative
and even replace all of them.

Lastly, regarding baking and planning... making more use of the
wiki to document the FreeBSD timeline would be interesting. While
distant dates my not be known, features and dependancies usually are.