Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 16:42:04 -0800
On 12/4/11 3:36 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> This seems too reasonable a suggestion, but, as always, the devil
>> is in the details. There will be long. painful discussions (and
>> arguments) about what to remove from the base to the new structure
>> and what things currently NOT in the base should be promoted.
> as one with a long list of WITHOUT_foo=YES in /etc/src.conf, this is
> tempting.  but, as you hint, is this not just doubling the number of
> borders over which we can argue?
>
> but let's get concrete here.
>
> i suspect that my install pattern is similar to others
>    o custom install so i can split filesystems the way i prefer,
>      enabling net&  ssh
>    o pkg_add -r { bash, rsync, emacs-nox11 } (it's not a computer
>      if it does not have emacs)
>    o hack /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to allow root with password
>    o rsync over ~root
>    o hack /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to allow root only without-password
>    o rsync over my standard /etc/foo (incl make.conf and src.conf)
>      and other gunk
>    o csup releng_X kernel, world, doc, ports
>    o build and install kernel and world
>
> and then do whatever is special for this particular system.
>
> anything which would lessen/simplify the above would be much
> appreciated.  anything not totally obiously wonderful which would
> increase/complicate the above would not be appreciated.

my suggestion is that the 'sysports' or 'foundation ports'  or
'basic ports', (or whatever you want to call them) in their package
form come with the standard install in fact I'd suggest that they
get installed into some directory by default so that 'enabling' them
ata later time doesn't even have to fetch them to do the pkg_add.

They have pre-installed entries in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. and only
their rc,d
files need to beinstalled into /etc along with their program files.
They are as close to being as they are now with the exception of
being installed in the final step instead of at the same time as the
rest of the stuff,
and it allows them to easily be 'deinstalled' and replaced by newer
versions.

Some of them would come from the current system sources and some of
them would be
what are currently 'normal' ports but we consider them to be 'basic'
and 'extra supported'

Examples of the first type would be bind, sendmail, cvs, and examples
of the second type would be perl, bash, maybe python, and possibly a
very minimal set of the
X11 packages.

These are things we talk about having extra support for in the
installer anyhow.
I also suggest that said packages include a "plugin" for
sysinstall/bsdinstall. so that it can ask its own
quesitons during install.