Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 02:12:02 +0100
Am 05.12.2011 um 00:36 schrieb Randy Bush:

>> This seems too reasonable a suggestion, but, as always, the devil
>> is in the details. There will be long. painful discussions (and
>> arguments) about what to remove from the base to the new structure
>> and what things currently NOT in the base should be promoted.
>
> as one with a long list of WITHOUT_foo=YES in /etc/src.conf, this is
> tempting.  but, as you hint, is this not just doubling the number of
> borders over which we can argue?
>
> but let's get concrete here.
>
> i suspect that my install pattern is similar to others

[....]

> and then do whatever is special for this particular system.
>
> anything which would lessen/simplify the above would be much
> appreciated.  anything not totally obiously wonderful which would
> increase/complicate the above would not be appreciated.

Most of that stuff should be solved by a configuration-management system - or (partly) by an automated installation.

BTW: Does anybody have a link to some documentation how that (PXE-install etc.) is supposed to be done in 9.0?

Personally, I don't think cvs should be removed any time soon:

 - it's AFAIK stable, doesn't change a lot
 - doesn't introduce vulnerabilities every other month
 - will be needed for some time for historic reasons

BIND OTOH is something different. But even on the couple of servers we actually use BIND, we like to have a version that is supported over the lifetime of the FreeBSD system it's installed on.

As has been said, FreeBSD (as of 8.2 - haven't had the chance to look into 9.0 a lot) is a nice system with a lot of functionality without installing lot's of packages.

Just FYI: we use rubygem-chef for configuration-management, but we don't think it would be a good idea to have ruby in the base-system, even though we need it on every system anyway...