Re: [RFC] winbond watchdog driver for FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64

From: Keith Simonsen <bangel_at_elite.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:49:08 -0800
On 12/7/2011 02:17, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On 7. Dec 2011, at 09:29 , Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 03:32:41PM -0700, Xin LI wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to request for comments on the attached driver, which supports
>>> watchdogs on several Winbond super I/O chip models and have been tested
>>> on a few of recent Supermicro motherboards.
>>
>> Is there any reason this is not yet committed? Please commit, pretty
>> please.
>
> Yes we have 2+ of them and are trying to merge.  The other one sits here
> and allows you even longer timeouts as well as time setting the timeout
> independent of watchdogd in case you have two watchdogs and want to do tricks
> like NMI/reset with the other one... but is lacking the man page yet.
> I have added another one or two IC revisions I think that I had found
> and tested privately.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/patch-20110710-03-wbwd.diff

I've  been using 20110718-02-wbwd.diff for a few months now on a project
with PC Engines Alix 1.d boards (http://pcengines.ch/alix1d.htm). They
have a  Winbond W83627HG chip. I don't see any probing/attach messages
on boot but the driver seems to be properly configuring the chip - if I
kill watchdogd with -9 the board reboots with watchdog timeout.

I'm also trying to use the above winbond chip for GPIO (userland bit
banging at this point).

> /bz

-Keith