Re: CVS removal from the base

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 21:50:14 -0800
On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 12/13/11 7:49 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> which brings up teh possibility of 1st class ports.. which are kept more  as
> part of the system..
> (sorry for sounding like a broken  record..)

*jumps back into the fray*

    If it's something that isn't maintainable, because the upstream
package is too hard to follow across a major version release cycle, it
should be pulled from base. Otherwise, I'd say carry on as usual.
Otherwise, there really isn't any difference in package organization
from Linux; granted, I would still like to see granular definitions in
packaging metadata so one could pick and choose between base and ports
openssh for instance, but that's still a nicety that hasn't come true.
Thanks,
-Garrett