Re: cross-arch building picobsd/nanobsd images ?

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:13:48 -0800
2011/12/20 Olivier Cochard-Labbé <olivier_at_cochard.me>:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:
>>
>> On a related topic, does anyone have experience on cross-building
>> nanobsd images ?

Hello Mr. Olivier!

> I using "little" cross-building nanobsd images (i386 on amd64 and vice versa).
> All my patchs for nanobsd are available on BSD Router Project
> (http://bsdrp.net) including a patch for compiling ports from nanobsd
> too.

Yeah, FreeNAS 8.x employs a similar semi-hacky way of doing a
full-blown chroot with a clean environment setup [that you might want
to steal ;)..[1]]

> Right now I'm working on adding cross-build mips (RouterStation Pro)
> nanobsd patch but without the "compiling ports" feature, because I can
> only cross-compile word/kernel and I didn't know how to cross-compile
> ports.

Let's work together on this. It's a non-trivial project that I'd like
to see come true for FreeNAS to build an ARM platform on x86 hardware
(someday..).

Also, I'd pick up some of the recent changes we made to nanobsd [2] --
it might help your cause.

Cheers,
-Garrett

1. http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/trunk/nanobsd/common
(look for the CR function; follow the history back for credits to the
original inspiration).
2. http://freenas.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freenas/trunk/build/nanobsd/