Re: Sleeping thread (tid 100033, pid 16): panic in FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 r228662

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:55:11 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Attilio Rao wrote:

> As we are here, however, I have a question for Robert here: do you think we
> should support the _ddb() variant of options even in the case DDB is not
> enabled in the kernel?

It's possible that _ddb() should be spelled _unlocked(), or perhaps _debug(),
but neither really suggests what the name should actually imply: using it is
safe only in a marginal (debugging) sense, and not in a production code sense.
One might also reasonable call them stack_foo_dontusethis().

The _ddb() variants are used in at least two not strictly DDB cases: redzone
support, and Solaris memory allocation.  And, I guess, the current lock
debugging case that we're talking about now, but I'm not sure if those
debugging features specifically require DDB in the kernel themselves?

Robert