Re: Sleeping thread (tid 100033, pid 16): panic in FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 r228662

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:43:51 +0100
On 12/20/11 16:55, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Attilio Rao wrote:
>
>> As we are here, however, I have a question for Robert here: do you
>> think we should support the _ddb() variant of options even in the case
>> DDB is not enabled in the kernel?
>
> It's possible that _ddb() should be spelled _unlocked(), or perhaps
> _debug(), but neither really suggests what the name should actually
> imply: using it is safe only in a marginal (debugging) sense, and not in
> a production code sense. One might also reasonable call them
> stack_foo_dontusethis().
>
> The _ddb() variants are used in at least two not strictly DDB cases:
> redzone support, and Solaris memory allocation.  And, I guess, the
> current lock debugging case that we're talking about now, but I'm not
> sure if those debugging features specifically require DDB in the kernel
> themselves?
>
> Robert

Sorry, I have to come back to the topic of my hijacked thread ;-)

I realized that the problem occured when I enabled, just for fun, some
features in the kernel config file, in particular were these

device		ipmi
device		smbios
device 		vdp
device		tpm

My box in question does not have any IPMI facility, nor does it have a
TPM chip or vdp. So I commented out vdp and tpm and the problem seems to
be gone.

I didn't find any manpage for smbios, the NOTES in amd64 says, it is for
DMI informations, but dmidecide works also without explicitely enabling
smbios in the kernel.

If someone wish that I have to perform another try with those modules
enabled, let me know.

oh