Re: r228700 can't dhclient em0

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:51:34 -0600
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 04:43:21PM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2011-12-20 09:38, Doug Barton wrote:
> > I tried replacing both ifconfig and dhclient with the versions that were
> > built along with the new kernel, and that didn't work.
>
> Looking at the changes in r228571, it seems they also affect libc, so
> installing that is probably also needed.  Since all my test systems are
> already upgraded to post-r228571, can somebody please confirm it works
> after doing:
>
> make -C $srcdir/lib/libc install
> make -C $srcdir/sbin/dhclient install
> make -C $srcdir/sbin/ifconfig install

We almost certainly need to back r228571 out.  This is not an acceptable
upgrade path that would be acceptable historically.  Specially, we have
effectively promised users that an X.Y world will work on an X+1.0
kernel for most of history.  There are obvious exceptions to this, but
we have never allowed ifconfig to be one of them (I broke it many years
ago with my first attempt to add if_epoch to if_data and had to back
that out).

-- Brooks