Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: Samuel J. Greear <sjg_at_evilcode.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:09:28 -0700
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Chiron IO <io.chir0n_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have a question about these benchmarks.
>
> Why worry about that if the CURRENT comes with debug enabled by default?
>

> http://joaobarros.blogspot.com/2005/07/freebsd-how-to-turn-off-debug-options.html

In the real world problems happen and someone has to be able to, in some
fashion, identify and resolve those problems. As such, shipping FreeBSD
releases with INVARIANTS disabled is a mistake and any benchmarks done
without INVARIANTS enabled will fail to reflect most reasonable real world
use-cases.

Although these benchmarks cannot stand on their own merits for many
reasons, I do not see how any benchmark is automatically invalidated by
using the default development configuration.

Sam