Re: r228700 can't dhclient em0

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:15:20 +0400
  Doug,

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:38:53AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
D> > I saw this too, when my kernel and userland were out of sync (e.g. just
D> > after installing a new kernel, and before installworld).  I suspect it
D> > is caused by the changes in r228571, which cause old ifconfig and
D> > dhclient to not recognize any interfaces.  I'm not 100% sure though...
D>
D> I tried replacing both ifconfig and dhclient with the versions that were
D> built along with the new kernel, and that didn't work.

This shouldn't happen. If you did 'make buildworld buildkernel', then
your world in objdir would have binaries compiled with includes from
source tree, not from /usr/include, thus compatible with new kernel.

'make buildworld buildkernel' always produces compatible kernel and
worlds.

However, if you did 'cd /usr/src/sbin/ifconfig && make all install' then
that didn't work, since used headers from /usr/include.

D> The traditional (and documented) upgrade process for many years has been
D> to boot the new kernel, make sure it's Ok, then update world. Obviously
D> something different is needed this time, so it needs an UPDATING entry
D> (assuming that all this is not just a bug).

The documented one says 'Reboot into single user mode' and then install
new world. This path was not broken, since single user mode doesn't
imply network support.

The undocumented brave way 'make installkernel installworld && reboot'
works also, without any problems.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.