Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 23:54:23 +0100
On 12/20/11 22:45, Samuel J. Greear wrote:
> http://www.osnews.com/story/25334/DragonFly_BSD_MP_Performance_Significantly_Improved
>
> PostgreSQL tests, see the linked PDF for #'s on FreeBSD, DragonFly, Linux
> and Solaris. Steps to reproduce these benchmarks provided.
>
> Sam
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, while people seem to be (arguably rightly) focused on
>> criticising Phoronix's benchmarking, nobody has offered an alternative
>> benchmark; and while (again, arguably rightly) it is important to
>> benchmark real world performance, equally, nobody has offered any
>> numbers in relation to, for example, HTTP or SMTP, or any other "real
>> world"-application torture tests done on the aforementioned two
>> platforms... IMO, this just goes to show that "doing is hard" and
>> "criticising is much easier" (yes, I am aware of the irony involved in
>> making this statement, but someone has to!)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Igor M :-)

Thanks for those numbers.
Impressive how Matthew Dillon's project jumps forward now. And it is
still impressive to see that the picture is still in the right place
when it comes to a comparison to Linux.
Also, OpenIndiana shows an impressive performance.
But this is only one suite of testing. Scientific Linux is supposed to
give the best performance for scientifi purposes, i.e. for longhaul
calculations, much numerical stuff. It outperforms in a typical server
application FreeBSd, were "FreeBSD shoulkd have the power to serve".

Is the postgresql benchmark the only way to benchmark?

Well, this inspires me to gather together all the benchmarks someone
could find. There were lots of compalins about FreeBSD's poor
performance with BIND - once a domain of FreeBSD. Network performance
seems also to be an issue if it comes to scalability.
It would be nice to see what portion of the raw CPU/GPU power the OS
(FreeBSD, Linux ...)  delivers to scientific applications.

I only know some kind of benchmarks, BYTE UNIX benchmark, LINPACK test
... Does someone know a site to look for a couple of benchmarks to test

a) memory system
b) scalability (apart from pgbench)
c) network performance/throughput/network scalability
d) portion of CPU performance the system delivers for numerical
applications to the user apart from the system's own consumption
e) disk I/O performance and scalability

it would also be nice to discuss some nice settings and performance
tunings for FreeBSD for several scenarios. I guess, starting developing
benchmarking test scenarios for several purposes would lead faster to
real numbers and non polemic than weird discussions ...