Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:41:30 +0200
On 21.12.11 23:49, Johan Hendriks wrote:

> I my opinion, you benchmark the latest release of Linux, FreeBSD,
> Solaris, Windows and whatever OS you want to compare!

There is no 'general benchmark' as there is not one single tasks that
all computers are used for.

If you want to benchmark something, then you define that something, tune
all test subjects appropriately for that one thing and run the same test
load. You then go on and claim 'for task X, the OS Y was best, followed
by ...'.
This is what people have done for PostgreSQL for example.

You may try to see how, with that same settings different OS will
perform with varying conditions, like what the PostgreSQL test did --
performance over the network and performance to localhost.

Testing a system, tuned for a file server as X workstations will not
tell you much about the abilities of the different operating systems to
run a web server, or either file server or X workstation.

By the way, the gcc in 8-stable is

gcc version 4.2.2 20070831 prerelease [FreeBSD]

Daniel