Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel_at_digsys.bg>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:22:46 +0200
On 23.12.11 16:47, Martin Sugioarto wrote:
> I thought that the "D" in FreeBSD stands for "distribution". Yes, it's
> ok that it compiles with LLVM. Does it also run faster in benchmarks?

It does. From a language perspective. It is a "distribution", because at
the times BSD was developed, it was not a complete operating system. It
was supposed to be "added" to say AT&T System V to make it networking
capable etc.

The Linux people use the word "distribution" in a different context.

> I don't want to have everything compiled on $COMPILER. I want that
> there is a reasonable quality. And for me quality is not only
> stability, but also speed.

You can always have faster algorithm if it is not necessary to produce
the right answer.

> But if you don't tweak, you get a fair result in a benchmark. This is
> what you will see as a user of the system. These are the default
> settings, that means developers chose them as the BEST choice for the
> system.

Developers are not Gods. Developers have no clue on what system and for
what purpose you will use the software. All they may do for you is to
provide enough knobs for you to tune your system for your
hardware/application and also make sure that the system scales, when you
turn the knobs.

Daniel