Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

From: Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd_at_jdc.parodius.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 07:24:52 -0800
On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:00:05AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:58:46 pm Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> place. Now... in case someone here is willing to help instead of talking, feel
> free to go to http://wiki.freebsd.org/BenchmarkAdvice and have a look what can
> be improved. The page is far from perfect and needs some additional people
> which are willing to improve it.

> could be referenced from the benchmark page - would be great too. Any
> volunteers? A first step would be to take he tuning-man-page and wikify it.
> Other tuning sources are welcome too.

> wiki. The benchmark page gives contributor-access. If someone wants write
> access create a FirstnameLastname account and ask here for contributor-access.

> word notes can help (and _my_ english got already corrected by other people on
> the benchmark page).

> > > Nice to see movement ;-)
> > >
> > > But there seems something unclear:
> > >
> > > man make.conf(5) says, that  MALLOC_PRODUCTION is a knob set in
> > > /etc/make.conf.
> > > The WiJi says, MALLOC_PRODUCTION is to be set in /etc/src.conf.
> > >
> > > What's right and what's wrong now?
> >
> > I can say with certainty that this value belongs in /etc/make.conf
> > (on RELENG_8 and earlier at least).
> >
> > src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk has no framework for MK_MALLOC_PRODUCTION,
> > so, this is definitely a make.conf variable.
>
> Eh, normal make variables can go in src.conf as well.  They do not have
> to be listed in bsd.own.mk.  World builds include /etc/src.conf whereas
> every make invocation includes /etc/make.conf via sys.mk.  The only reason
> to use /etc/src.conf is to have a place to put variables only affect
> make buildworld / buildkernel but do not affect other make invocations.

I was always under the impression src.conf(5) variables had to be
manually added to bsd.own.mk and similar bits (e.g.
src/tools/build/options/WITH_xxx which is what's used to create the
src.conf(5) man page), but upon your comment and manual investigation on
my part, I found you're indeed right.  Taken from bsd.own.mk:

107 .if !defined(_WITHOUT_SRCCONF)
108 SRCCONF?=       /etc/src.conf
109 .if exists(${SRCCONF})
110 .include "${SRCCONF}"
111 .endif
112 .endif

As long as third-party software doesn't depend on MALLOC_PRODUCTION for
something (I don't know why something would, but who knows; maybe
there's a third-party malloc implementation which might?), then putting
it in src.conf would be fine (src/lib/libc/stdlib files reference it).

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |