Re: Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

From: Lawrence Stewart <lstewart_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:32:52 +1100
On 12/28/11 06:29, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/27/2011 03:48, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>> On the topic of Doug's actual question, I see minimal sense in
>> resurrecting sysinstall in head now. I would suggest it be done much
>> closer to (say, 6 months before) the 10.0 release cycle, if no suitable
>> post-installation configuration tool has materialised.
>
> My concern about that approach is that 9.0 hasn't even been released yet
> and we've already seen changes that are going to make it hard to
> resurrect sysinstall if that's the decision we come to. Waiting another
> year or 2 would make it impossible.

Which changes are you referring to? I would have thought a reverse merge
to undo the deletion of the sysinstall and old libdialog sources would
be very minimal work. We'd also probably need a few extra build system
changes to make sure old libdialog is perhaps statically compiled into
sysinstall as it would be the only in-tree consumer, but that's not hard
either. I may be lacking some imagination, but don't really see why it
would become harder the longer we wait.

Cheers,
Lawrence