Re: Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

From: Pedro Giffuni <pfg_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:59:26 -0800 (PST)
Hello;

--- Gio 29/12/11, Chris Rees <crees_at_freebsd.org> ha scritto:

> > I use the nvidia driver, no idea what people with ATI
> > cards do.
>
> I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with that, if you
> ever want to try again and you can't work it out get me
> off list ;)

Getting X11 to run on virtualbox from a FreeBSD 9.0 CD
installation is pretty much a nightmare. Is there something
about it in the users handbook? A wiki page about setting up
X11 on FreeBSD would do it too. Perhaps we should write one.

> > I hope I don't have to start downloading manually all
> > the prepackaged dependencies (I still do that with
> > Java and it's not nice).
>
> Nah, pkg_add -r works and grabs anything you need. Try it
> with something monstrous (like gcc...)

Aha! I guess I just keep doing things the old way then,
the package browser was still very nice but I guess what
is really missing is documentation. How is someone new
to FreeBSD supposed to know what packages are available
and how to install them?

cheers,

Pedro.