Re: Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:30:02 -0800
On 12/29/11 12:51, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On 29/12/2011 16:37, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> I'd appreciate any specific comments you might have, and especially
>> specific suggestions for improvements. Except from people who are old
>> hands at sysinstall, I've received almost universally positive
>> comments on the user experience. Patches would be even more
>> appreciated, since real life has intervened to steal most of my
>> FreeBSD time.
>
> There was talk in the past that any future installer should be based
> around the pc-sysinstall backend - has there been any progress towards
> moving bsdinstall to it?

There has not been much. My free time evaporated, and I haven't had the
ability to work on this. I heard from some people at iX a while back,
but I don't know what their progress is. There are a relatively small
number of relatively major things that would need to be rewritten on
both sides (e.g. the pc-sysinstall partition editor is x86-only and the
bsdinstall one is premised around letting the kernel do pre-commit
staging). There's a relatively bare wiki page at
http://wiki.freebsd.org/PCBSDInstallMerge for those interested.
-Nathan