Re: [rfc] removing/conditionalising WERROR= in Makefiles

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_theravensnest.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:28:51 +0000
On 30 Dec 2011, at 13:06, Dimitry Andric wrote:

>  sys/gnu/fs/xfs/xfs_dir2_block.c:1149:17: warning: array index of '1' indexes past the end of an array (that contains 1 element) [-Warray-bounds]

I recall some discussion of this warning on the clang list a few months ago, and I believe that it should now only appear if you are compiling in a C99 or C11 dialect mode (the rationale is that any variable-length structures in C99 should be using a zero-sized array as the final element, while C89 lacked any ability to do this).

I suspect a lot of similar warnings are caused by the difference in default dialects between clang and gcc.  Adding an explicit -std=c89 to the cflags any modules that are using an archaic dialect of C may silence a lot of these...

David