Re: About "panic: bufwrite: buffer is not busy???"

From: Andrew Boyer <aboyer_at_averesystems.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:08:30 -0500
Moving this to -current and -stable and following up...

Something is broken with coredumps on stable/8 amd64.  I tried a vanilla 8.2-RC3 and yesterday's csup of stable/8; neither can dump a core with 'sysctl debug.kdb.panic=1'.

For the 8.2-RC3 / amd64 / GENERIC install, I used the memstick image, installed on ad7 (a 250GB SATA drive), used the default partition map, and set dumpdev to AUTO.

I added enough tracing to show that the second panic is due to the syncer process flushing buffers to the other filesystems in parallel with the dump.  I've seen this panic and a similar one 'buffer not locked' coming from ffs_write().  One time out of about 30 the core ran to completion, but slowly (~1MB/sec).  Other times the dump just locks up completely with no other output.

Does anyone know what might have changed to expose this problem?

I don't ever see it under 7.1.

Thanks,
 Andrew