Re: HEADS UP: Merge of binutils 2.17

From: Ade Lovett <ade_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 15:54:35 -0600
On Jan 07, 2011, at 15:41 , Doug Barton wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 13:29, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I submitted an exp-run request Nov 15, 2010:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=152268
>> Unfortunately, there has been little or no interest.
>
> Fair enough, that sounds to me like portmgr is volunteering to clean up the mess then.

Most likely it's low priority given all the other exp-runs that affect 7.x/8.x, tweaking things for an 6.x-EOL-tagged tree, and a bunch of other infrastructure stuff.  Not to mention the impending 7- and 8- RELEASEs.

Then of course there's the issue (which is certainly getting better) of finding a point in time along the -CURRENT path where the tree is stable (sic) enough to get through a full ports run (which is one of the bigger internal stress tests we have of the system).

IMO, the best approach would be to make sure it does the right thing with 'make universe' (twice, naturally, the second time being when all traces of the previous binutils has been purged from the building system).  Once that's done, commit (please bump __FreeBSD_version as part of this, in case ports OSVERSION hacks are eventually needed), and then give the exp-run a whirl -- with all of the above, this should be nicely after 7.4/8.2

-aDe