Re: HEADS UP: Merge of binutils 2.17

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 14:57:04 +0100
On 2011-01-07 22:54, Ade Lovett wrote:
> Most likely it's low priority given all the other exp-runs that affect
> 7.x/8.x, tweaking things for an 6.x-EOL-tagged tree, and a bunch of
> other infrastructure stuff.  Not to mention the impending 7- and 8-
> RELEASEs.

I understand, and there will probably also be shortage of people with
time during the holiday season.  I'm fine with holding this off for as
long as it takes to make it work for everybody.

It would be nice to get it in well before 9.0 slowly starts going into
freeze mode, though.

> Then of course there's the issue (which is certainly getting better)
> of finding a point in time along the -CURRENT path where the tree is
> stable (sic) enough to get through a full ports run (which is one of
> the bigger internal stress tests we have of the system).

Yes, unfortunately there are some stability problems in vanilla -current
as of late, especially with long multiprocess builds, such as universes
or bulk packaging with -j nnn.  Sometimes it panics. :(

> IMO, the best approach would be to make sure it does the right thing
> with 'make universe' (twice, naturally, the second time being when all
> traces of the previous binutils has been purged from the building
> system).

Since the beginning of the binutils 2.17 project branch, I have built
universes many times with it, and as far as I know, all problems with
the base system have been solved, on all arches.

> Once that's done, commit (please bump __FreeBSD_version as
> part of this, in case ports OSVERSION hacks are eventually needed),
> and then give the exp-run a whirl -- with all of the above, this should
> be nicely after 7.4/8.2

I would rather see exp-run results before committing this. :)