Re: ports/158179: some packages do not fully honor -P dir option in pkg_add(1)

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:26:46 +0200
Am 16.07.2011 um 04:43 schrieb Stephen Montgomery-Smith:

> I was looking through the source code of pkg_add.  Personally I don't see how the "-P" or "-p" option could be made to work with pkg_add. Many of the installation commands involve scripts which have ${PREFIX} hard coded into them.  ${PREFIX} is often hard coded when trhe package is created by the port.  In my opinion, the options "-p" and "-P" should be removed from pkg_add.
>
> Either that, or provide the port a way to access "_at_cwd" in any scripts it installs.  But this would require a major overhaul of the whole ports system, and probably much of the software it installs as well.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes.  Not honoring the prefix is a bug in the port.  If you do need to do prefix-specific things during install, use pkg-install, see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/pkg-install.html

I suspect that many ports are not well tested outside of "/usr/local", but the infrastructure is there and available.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811